Views in Talloires

Sunday, August 2, 2009

Fernand Bise

Members of the MacJannet Foundation are saddened to learn of the recent death of Fernand Bise, after a brief illness. The funeral took place on Tuesday, August 4, 2009. Both Fernand Bise and his father maintained a friendship with the camp director, Col. Woodworth, as well as the MacJannets. Fernand’s was a camper at the MacJannet camp at Angon in 1937 and 1938. When Fernand’s father decided to start his own restaurant “Le Cottage” instead of working in the family business at Pere Bise, the MacJannets actively championed Le Cottage and introduced generations of families to Le Cottage which continues to be a favorite venue for Foundation events. Fernand once told me that during WWII, when Col Woodworth was in active service in the military directing the US air force effort from northern Italy, Col Woodworth established both Le Cottage and Pere Bise as R&R sites for American pilots and provided abundant supplies that were in great need in the area. These photos were taken in 2003 while Fernand related the story of his frienship with Col Woodworth and his visit at Talloires to arrange for Le Cottage and Pere Bise to serve as R&R - USO sites.

2 comments:

  1. Hello, I found an official swiss military distinction (dated 1938) of Mr Fernand Bise in my things as I moved from Switzerland to France. I can send you an image.
    I would be pleased to send it to you if you want.
    BG
    M. Teekens

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi M. Teekens,
      I just saw your comment. Fernand was my grand father, and I, with my brother and my parents, are now running le Cottage.
      I would be pleased if you can send me an image of your discovery !
      Thanks a lot !
      Christophe

      Delete